What would you like to read about?
Last Updated October 4, 2021
Chaa Creek update as of July 5th, 2021:
We're happy to inform you that 100% of the Chaa Creek team have already been vaccinated, leading the way in the safe and responsible reopening of travel to Belize.
As of Wednesday February 3rd, 2021:
The Lodge at Chaa Creek has established an onsite Wellness Clinic on the north wing of our Front Desk offices for rapid CDC-compliant COVID19 testing. Guests can now book with ease knowing their requirements for COVID19 testing, within 72 hours prior to reentry into the USA, can be administered onsite.
Chaa Creek’s Wellness Clinic has the approval of the Ministry of Health and the Belize Diagnostic Center having met the requirements for safety, cleanliness and aeriation. Hand soap, sanitizer and hand towels are provided before entering the properly ventilated clinic. Doors and windows remain open while the swab testing is being conducted. Swabbing will take 10 seconds per person and guests can expect results within a 20 minute window. After each swabbing interval the clinic is thoroughly sanitized.
As of Wednesday January 17th, 2021:
The US Center for Disease Control (CDC) issued a January 12, 2021 notice that all travelers returning to the USA, including citizens, residents and visitors, must show proof of a negative COVID19 test taken within three days prior to arrival effective beginning January 26th, 2021.
As of January 21st 2021: Chaa Creek has secured the services of a government licensed practitioner to facilitate the rapid tests required for reentry into the United States. The tests will be offered on site at Chaa Creek and the results made available within the 72 hours prior to entry into the USA as required by the CDC. Please contact our reservations team to find out more at [email protected] or TOLL FREE at +1-877-709-8708.
We’ll keep you updated here with the latest information, and please, travel safe.
Read more about the CDC's new policy here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
Statement from The Lodge at Chaa Creek: Belize COVID-19 Update
In the forty years that The Lodge at Chaa Creek has been sharing our rainforest home with thousands of guests from all over the world, we’ve experienced any number of challenges. And, as dramatic as this new global pandemic has been, one thing remains constant – our commitment to ensuring the wellbeing of our guests, staff, and local communities.
The high standards and practices we already had in place made it easy to become certified as a Belize Tourism Board Tourism Gold Standard ecoresort and tour operator. From the moment we greet our guests at the airport, to contactless check ins, enhanced hygienic protocols, specialized staff training and other practices, all overseen by a dedicated Health and Safety Manager on duty 24/7, we’re well prepared to meet any new challenges that may arise.
Set within a 400-acre private nature reserve with the rainforest and Macal River continually refreshing the air, Chaa Creek’s nature-based vacations encourage healthy activities, while our farm-to-table dining and Hilltop Spa contribute to a wholesome visit.
And rest assured that we will continue to liaise with our tourism and travel colleagues, airlines, Belize’s Ministry of Health, the US Center for Disease Control and other authorities to make sure we have the most up-to-date information and resources to offer our guests the safest, most worry-free and enjoyable vacations possible. That’s our commitment to you.
All of us here at Chaa Creek look forward to welcoming you to our rainforest paradise, and please feel free to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have.
Sincerely, Mick and Lucy Fleming – Chaa Creek’s Founders
Chaa Creek Cares Program
Our Health and Safety Commitment
- Health and safety officer on duty
- Wellness checkpoints for all incoming employees to ensure good health
- Detailed COVID-19 sanitation protocol training workshops for all employees
- COVID-19 training manual for department heads and staff
- Onsite Emergency Medical Technician
- Cleaning and Disinfecting: recurrent with emphasis on all high touch surfaces
- Hand antiseptic stations will be provided around property (3M Hospital Grade)
- Frequent sanitation protocols of kitchens and restrooms will be strictly adhered to utilizing 3M hospital grade products
- Restaurant and bar: more space between indoor tables and outside dinning venues
- Rooms and Villas: hard surfaces, door handles, desks, tables, chairs, light switches, lamps disinfected daily (3M Hospital Grade)
- Adequate physical distancing in all public areas and activity venues
- Hand wipes and sanitizers in all tour vehicles
- All vehicles shall be disinfected properly after passengers disembark and before new riders embark with professional 3M products.
- Check - Ins, tour and activity scheduling, and check outs will be personalized
- Guest luggage will be disinfected at time of arrival
- Private Transfers, Tours and Activities always available
The Lodge at Chaa Creek is Gold Standard Certified Property
The Belize Tourism Board has launched the “Tourism Gold Standard
” Recognition Program for hotels in the country. This 9-point program seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product.
To be a part of the Gold Standard Certification, we have the following in place:
- Appointing a “Gold Standard Program Manager” to implement protocols and ensure compliance
- Daily health and temperature checks for guests and employees
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Enhanced room cleaning and increase sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces;
- Designated ‘Isolation/Quarantine rooms’ for suspected Covid-19 cases and action plans for handling suspected employees or guests.
- Establishing a clear & consistent communication for frequent feedback with employees and guests; relating to the protocols and their impact
- Hand sanitizing stations across the property
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Training staff to ensure they are prepared to manage and implement the new protocols based on their role/s
Flexible Travel Booking Policy
Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional responses, so in addition to taking protective measures as suggested by the World Health Organization, we have amended our travel policy.
We recognize and appreciate your trust in us, and we endeavor – now more than ever - to provide you with peace of mind when you choose The Lodge at Chaa Creek or your stay in Belize.
The following policies only apply to reservations made starting September 2nd 2020 and include stays up to June 15th 2021.
- To confirm your reservation a deposit of 30% is required at the time of booking with full payment to be received within 30 days prior to arrival.
- Kindly note that the confirmation invoice reflects charges in US Dollars.
- Cancellations received within 30 days of arrival receive a full refund.
- Cancellations received within 14 days of arrival receive a full resort credit to be used towards any future stay.
- If you have confirmed one of our Inland Expedition packages, please be reminded that this package does not include the entrance/guide fees applicable to the tours you decide to take.
- To view a list of the available tours and the applicable fees please visit the following page on our website: Tours & Activities Rates
VIsiting Belize - Belize Tourism Board Travel Health and Safety Guidelines
As of October 4, 2021:
(click on image below to see bigger version)
Before visiting Belize:
- Book travel to Belize using Belize Tourism Gold Standard approved accommodations. The Lodge at Chaa Creek is an approved Belize Gold Standards approved accommodation.
- ALERT: As of August 9, 2021, all travellers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize through the Philip Goldson International Airport from other countries will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test. A negative result of a Covid-19 PCR test taken within 96 hours of travel or a negative result from any approved Antigen Rapid Test taken within 48 hours of travel is required. * If no test is presented, a COVID-19 test will be administered at the airport for a fee of USD $50 per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test. Note: Even if you present a negative test, you may still be randomly selected for secondary testing based on your health screening. All travelers returning to the USA must also have a negative COVID-19 test done in Belize, even if vaccinated.
- Fill in and submit the visitor application. Click here to view visitor classification and entry requirements.
- Follow all protocols of airlines and airport in originating city. Wear your mask, practice physical distancing and get ready to enjoy your Belize experience
Arrival in Belize:
- Representatives will direct you to the Health Screening Area.
- Sanitize shoes and pass thermal imaging cameras. Temperature must be less than 100* to proceed.
- Verify certified COVID-19 PCR test results. If no PCR test is presented, travelers will take a mandatory COVID19 test at the Belize airport at a cost of USD $50 per person.
- You may randomly be selected for a secondary COVID test, even if a negative test has been presented based on your Health screening.
Immigration and Customs:
- Immigration check. Maintain 6ft social distancing
- Guest proceeds to baggage claim
- Guest proceess to customs. Place bags on luggage scanners
Your stay in Belize:
- Arrival at BTB Gold Standards approved hotel
- Face mask is required at ALL TIMES in public, including on the beach, except when exercising, swimming, or driving in a motor vehicle with members of the same household. Kids under 6 are exempt. You can be ticketed for not having, or not properly wearing a face mask.
- You can now move around freely but you are highly encouraged to remain within the safe corridor and utilize Gold Standard restaurants, tour operators like Chaa Creek Inland Expeditions, gift shops, and gold standard certified transportation.
- Restaurant dine-in is now allowed at all restaurants by reservation and with proof of vaccination. Capacity limited to 50% indoors and 75% outdoors. *Effective October 4, 2021.
- Outside of the resorts, there is a countrywide curfew daily from 9:00 PM to 4:00 AM. *Effective October 4, 2021.
- The Institute of Archaeology (NICH) Belize announced on September 22, 2021, that all archaeological reserves will be closed for public visitation on September 26, 2021, and October 3, 2021, in accordance with the Ministry of Health and Wellness COVID-19 protocols and recent COVID-19 regulations announced on September 15, 2021.
Stay Tuned For Updates
These are important new changes. We’re confident that the Government of Belize, the Ministry of Health and Belize Tourism Board are doing their best to balance health and safety concerns with your freedom to enjoy a relaxing, carefree Belize vacation.
Thank you for your continued support and patience as we all work through this phased reopening of Belize, and rest assured that we’ll go the extra distance to provide the most enjoyable, exciting and healthy vacation possible.
We appreciate how comforting being surrounded by pristine nature while enjoying casually luxurious lodgings, amenities, activities and dining can be right now, and the Fleming Family, along with Chaa Creek’s managers and staff, are all looking forward to welcoming visitors back to our little slice of paradise.
We’ll continue to provide updates on our website, and invite you to check in regularly for information and inspiration. For now, wherever you are, please look after yourselves and each other, and stay well.
Just like the ancient Maya temples and lush rainforests that surround us, we plan on being around for a long time – and will be here waiting to welcome you.