What would you like to read about?
Last Updated April 8, 2022
Chaa Creek update as of July 5th, 2021:
We're happy to inform you that 100% of the Chaa Creek team have already been vaccinated, leading the way in the safe and responsible reopening of travel to Belize.
As of Wednesday February 3rd, 2021:
The Lodge at Chaa Creek has established an onsite Wellness Clinic on the north wing of our Front Desk offices for rapid CDC-compliant COVID19 testing. Guests can now book with ease knowing their requirements for COVID19 testing, within 24 hours prior to reentry into the USA, can be administered onsite.
Chaa Creek’s Wellness Clinic has the approval of the Ministry of Health and the Belize Diagnostic Center having met the requirements for safety, cleanliness and aeriation. Hand soap, sanitizer and hand towels are provided before entering the properly ventilated clinic. Doors and windows remain open while the swab testing is being conducted. Swabbing will take 10 seconds per person and guests can expect results within a 20 minute window. After each swabbing interval the clinic is thoroughly sanitized.
Statement from The Lodge at Chaa Creek: Belize COVID-19 Update
In the forty years that The Lodge at Chaa Creek has been sharing our rainforest home with thousands of guests from all over the world, we’ve experienced any number of challenges. And, as dramatic as this new global pandemic has been, one thing remains constant – our commitment to ensuring the wellbeing of our guests, staff, and local communities.
The high standards and practices we already had in place made it easy to become certified as a Belize Tourism Board Tourism Gold Standard ecoresort and tour operator. From the moment we greet our guests at the airport, to contactless check ins, enhanced hygienic protocols, specialized staff training and other practices, all overseen by a dedicated Health and Safety Manager on duty 24/7, we’re well prepared to meet any new challenges that may arise.
Set within a 400-acre private nature reserve with the rainforest and Macal River continually refreshing the air, Chaa Creek’s nature-based vacations encourage healthy activities, while our farm-to-table dining and Hilltop Spa contribute to a wholesome visit.
And rest assured that we will continue to liaise with our tourism and travel colleagues, airlines, Belize’s Ministry of Health, the US Center for Disease Control and other authorities to make sure we have the most up-to-date information and resources to offer our guests the safest, most worry-free and enjoyable vacations possible. That’s our commitment to you.
All of us here at Chaa Creek look forward to welcoming you to our rainforest paradise, and please feel free to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have.
Sincerely, Mick and Lucy Fleming – Chaa Creek’s Founders
Chaa Creek Cares Program
Our Health and Safety Commitment
- Health and safety officer on duty
- Wellness checkpoints for all incoming employees to ensure good health
- Detailed COVID-19 sanitation protocol training workshops for all employees
- COVID-19 training manual for department heads and staff
- Onsite Emergency Medical Technician
- Cleaning and Disinfecting: recurrent with emphasis on all high touch surfaces
- Hand antiseptic stations will be provided around property (3M Hospital Grade)
- Frequent sanitation protocols of kitchens and restrooms will be strictly adhered to utilizing 3M hospital grade products
- Restaurant and bar: more space between indoor tables and outside dinning venues
- Rooms and Villas: hard surfaces, door handles, desks, tables, chairs, light switches, lamps disinfected daily (3M Hospital Grade)
- Adequate physical distancing in all public areas and activity venues
- Hand wipes and sanitizers in all tour vehicles
- All vehicles shall be disinfected properly after passengers disembark and before new riders embark with professional 3M products.
- Check - Ins, tour and activity scheduling, and check outs will be personalized
- Guest luggage will be disinfected at time of arrival
- Private Transfers, Tours and Activities always available
The Lodge at Chaa Creek is Gold Standard Certified Property
The Belize Tourism Board has launched the “Tourism Gold Standard
” Recognition Program for hotels in the country. This 9-point program seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product.
To be a part of the Gold Standard Certification, we have the following in place:
- Appointing a “Gold Standard Program Manager” to implement protocols and ensure compliance
- Daily health and temperature checks for guests and employees
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Enhanced room cleaning and increase sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces;
- Designated ‘Isolation/Quarantine rooms’ for suspected Covid-19 cases and action plans for handling suspected employees or guests.
- Establishing a clear & consistent communication for frequent feedback with employees and guests; relating to the protocols and their impact
- Hand sanitizing stations across the property
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Training staff to ensure they are prepared to manage and implement the new protocols based on their role/s
Please Note: Masks
The Belize Government guidelines stipulate that masks must be worn in all public places. This means that, as you transit the airport, travel to Chaa Creek, and while in our common areas, you will need to wear a mask.
But not when seated at the restaurant or at the pool, strolling the gardens, rainforest paths or while enjoying most activities – as long as there’s enough distance between you and other guests. Of course, things are more relaxed in your accommodations, on your private veranda, or with your family or group.
As with everything at Chaa Creek, common sense prevails, and our attention to your comfort is a given.
We will make sure that masks are available in our gift shop. Please make sure to bring a supply of your own masks that reflects your individual style and comfort.
We encourage our guests to purchase Travel Insurance to cover against cancellation or date changes in unforeseen circumstances including COVID19 related cancellations.
To confirm your booking a deposit of 50% is required immediately, full payment must be received within 30 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellations received within 60 days of arrival receive a full refund less $75.00USD + 12.5% General Sales Tax processing fee per room.
- Cancellations received within 45 days of arrival receive a 50% refund per room. Cancellations 45 days or less prior to arrival receive no refund.
- No refunds will be given for unused package portions, accommodations, meals, transfers or tours during your stay.
- No refunds will be given for unused hotel rooms, meals, sightseeing, or tours. Land cost is quoted as a package and credits are not given for services not used.
Visiting Belize - COVID19 Updates and Protocols
As of April 6, 2022:
(click on image below to see bigger version)
New Updates as of April 6, 2022:
- As of 1 April 2022, mask wearing is no longer required for indoor and outdoor spaces
- Don't leave your masks at home because private establishments can still require them
- Bars and Nightclubs are now allowed to operate
- Testing is NOT required for fully vaccinated travelers and children under 5. Boosters NOT required
- Unvaccinated travelers ages 5 or older, or those without proof of full vaccination must have a negative test for entry
- All curfew restrictions have been lifted
- All self testing kits are still illegal to bring into the country.
Before visiting Belize:
- Book travel to Belize using Belize Tourism Gold Standard approved accommodations. The Lodge at Chaa Creek is an approved Belize Gold Standards approved accommodation.
- Effective February 15, 2022, all visitors will be required to purchase the Belize Travel Insurance. The policy will cost $18 USD Per Person. The policy will be effective for 21 days from the day the insured is legally in Belize. You can purchase online or upon arrival at any of the entry points in Belize (Airport, Seaports, or Land Borders). Learn more about this affordable insurance plan that covers COVID19 related expenses, some cancellation refunds, medical pre-conditions, and others at https://www.belizetravelinsurance.com/faqs.
- As of March 1 2022, testing is NOT required for fully vaccinated travelers and children under 12. Unvaccinated travelers or those without proof of full vaccination must be tested when arriving.
- Self testing kits are still illegal to bring into the country without a permit.
Arrival in Belize:
- Representatives will direct you to the Health Screening Area.
- Fully vaccinated travelers are NOT required to have a negative test for entry if they have digital or hardcopy proof of full immunization. Unvaccinated travelers or those without proof of vaccination will be required to have a negative rapid antigen COVID-19 test within 48 hours prior to arrival, or a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to arrival. Children under 5 are exempt. Anyone who tests positive will be quarantined for a minimum of 10 days at their own expense.
Immigration and Customs:
- Immigration check. Maintain 6ft social distancing
- Guest proceeds to baggage claim
- Guest proceess to customs. Place bags on luggage scanners
Your stay in Belize:
- International Tourists are recommended to book a stay at a BTB Gold Standard approved hotel.
- As of March 1 2022, all curfew restrictions have been lifted.
- You can now move around freely but you are highly encouraged to remain within the safe corridor and utilize Gold Standard restaurants, tour operators like Chaa Creek Inland Expeditions, gift shops, and gold standard certified transportation.
- Restaurants that have proper ventilation or a restaurant that is an open-air restaurant, an outdoor restaurant, or an al fresco dining restaurant that is allowed to operate, may offer dining-in services by reservation only, for no more than 75% of its seating capacity, with fully vaccinated persons only.
- As of December 6, 2021, all US-bound air travelers, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, will be required to show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken no more than one calendar day before they board their flight to the United States.
Stay Tuned For Updates
These are important new changes. We’re confident that the Government of Belize, the Ministry of Health and Belize Tourism Board are doing their best to balance health and safety concerns with your freedom to enjoy a relaxing, carefree Belize vacation.
We appreciate how comforting being surrounded by pristine nature while enjoying casually luxurious lodgings, amenities, activities and dining can be right now, and the Fleming Family, along with Chaa Creek’s managers and staff, are all looking forward to welcoming guests to our little slice of paradise.
We’ll continue to provide updates on our website, and invite you to check in regularly for information and inspiration. For now, wherever you are, please look after yourselves and each other, and stay well.
Just like the ancient Maya temples and lush rainforests that surround us, we plan on being around for a long time – and will be here waiting to welcome you.