Statement from The Lodge at Chaa Creek: Belize COVID-19 Update
Last Updated October 23rd, 2020
With Belize's acknowledged success in controlling the global Coronavirus pandemic, and as we begin to welcome guests, Chaa Creek will continue to offer the personalized service and care that our guests have become accustomed to over the last four decades. The health, safety and wellbeing of our employees and visitors has always been our top priority, and that commitment is now more important than ever before.
In order to offer the highest measures of safety during these unprecedented times, we have appointed a Health and Safety Officer who will be responsible for the execution of our government approved guidelines and implementation processes. He facilitates mandatory professional training workshops for all employees and will conduct on-going oversight throughout our regular days of business.
Fortunately, our 400 acres of private nature reserve with 10 miles of mapped and well-maintained forest trails makes physical distancing actively easy. On-site nature guides will acquaint our guests with Mother nature’s bounty as they show you her riches by foot, horseback or RTV. With one acre of fresh air per person, just hammocking, watching the wildlife around you, and breathing - is enriching and invigorating.
Licensed naturalist guides who conduct our tours and airport transfers will practice safe distancing, enhanced cleaning, disinfection and hygiene. Our Guests can be assured of a safe and secure journey with an eclectic mix of adventures from the time they arrive at our international airport until they depart for home with a bright new bag filled with lifelong memories.
We miss you so much and look forward to having you with us once again, soon!
Sincerely, Mick and Lucy Fleming – Chaa Creek’s Founders
Chaa Creek Cares Program
Our Health and Safety Commitment
- Health and safety officer on duty
- Wellness checkpoints for all incoming employees to ensure good health
- Detailed COVID-19 sanitation protocol training workshops for all employees
- COVID-19 training manual for department heads and staff
- Onsite Emergency Medical Technician
- Cleaning and Disinfecting: recurrent with emphasis on all high touch surfaces
- Hand antiseptic stations will be provided around property (3M Hospital Grade)
- Frequent sanitation protocols of kitchens and restrooms will be strictly adhered to utilizing 3M hospital grade products
- Restaurant and bar: more space between indoor tables and outside dinning venues
- Rooms and Villas: hard surfaces, door handles, desks, tables, chairs, light switches, lamps disinfected daily (3M Hospital Grade)
- Adequate physical distancing in all public areas and activity venues
- Hand wipes and sanitizers in all tour vehicles
- All vehicles shall be disinfected properly after passengers disembark and before new riders embark with professional 3M products.
- Check - Ins, tour and activity scheduling, and check outs will be personalized
- Guest luggage will be disinfected at time of arrival
- Private Transfers, Tours and Activities always available
The Lodge at Chaa Creek is Gold Standard Certified Property
The Belize Tourism Board has launched the “Tourism Gold Standard
” Recognition Program for hotels in the country. This 9-point program seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product.
To be a part of the Gold Standard Certification, we have the following in place:
- Appointing a “Gold Standard Program Manager” to implement protocols and ensure compliance
- Daily health and temperature checks for guests and employees
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Enhanced room cleaning and increase sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces;
- Designated ‘Isolation/Quarantine rooms’ for suspected Covid-19 cases and action plans for handling suspected employees or guests.
- Establishing a clear & consistent communication for frequent feedback with employees and guests; relating to the protocols and their impact
- Hand sanitizing stations across the property
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Training staff to ensure they are prepared to manage and implement the new protocols based on their role/s
Flexible Travel Booking Policy
Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional responses, so in addition to taking protective measures as suggested by the World Health Organization, we have amended our travel policy.
We recognize and appreciate your trust in us, and we endeavor – now more than ever - to provide you with peace of mind when you choose The Lodge at Chaa Creek or your stay in Belize.
The following policies only apply to reservations made starting September 2nd 2020 and include stays up to June 15th 2021.
- To confirm your reservation a deposit of 30% is required at the time of booking with full payment to be received within 30 days prior to arrival.
- Kindly note that the confirmation invoice reflects charges in US Dollars.
- Cancellations received within 30 days of arrival receive a full refund.
- Cancellations received within 14 days of arrival receive a full resort credit to be used towards any future stay.
- If you have confirmed one of our Inland Expedition packages, please be reminded that this package does not include the entrance/guide fees applicable to the tours you decide to take.
- To view a list of the available tours and the applicable fees please visit the following page on our website: Tours & Activities Rates
VIsiting Belize - Belize Tourism Board Travel Health and Safety Guidelines
As of October 19th, 2020:
(click on image below to see bigger version)
Before visiting Belize:
- Book travel to Belize using Belize Tourism Gold Standard approved accommodations. The Lodge at Chaa Creek is an approved Belize Gold Standards approved accommodation
- Download and register on the Belize Health App and complete required information within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. You will be provided with a unique number. The Belize Health App is required to enter Belize and will be available for download on Google Play and in the Apple App Store
- Take COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of travel. All passengers without proof of a negative PCR Test will have to undergo a mandatory rapid test once in Belize. The rapid test is at a cost to the vistor, priced at USD $50. No quarantine necessary with negative test results. If positive, there will be a minimum 14-day mandatory quarantine at traveller's expense
- Fill in and submit the visitor application. Click here to view visitor classification and entry requirements.
- Follow all protocols of airlines and airport in originating city. Wear your mask, practice physical distancing and get ready to enjoy your Belize experience
Arrival in Belize:
- Disembark plane and proceed to health screening
- Sanitize shoes and pass thermal imaging cameras. Temperature must be less than 100* to proceed
- Verify information on the Belize health app
- Verify certified COVID-19 PCR test results. If your test result is positive, health officials will isolate you and you will be transferred to an approved quarantine facility for a minimum of 14-days, at your own expense.
Immigration and Customs:
- Immigration check. Maintain 6ft social distancing
- Guest proceeds to baggage claim
- Guest proceess to customs. Place bags on luggage scanners
Your stay in Belize:
- Arrival at BTB Gold Standards approved hotel
- Face masks are mandatory in all public spaces
- Belize health app will check in daily (by Unique # and Geo ping)
- You can now move around freely but you are highly encouraged to remain within the safe corridor and utilize Gold Standard restaurants, tour operators like Chaa Creek Inland Expeditions, gift shops, and certified transportation.
Belize's Safe Corridor
(click on image below to see bigger version)
Stay Tuned For Updates
These are important new changes. We’re confident that the Government of Belize, the Ministry of Health and Belize Tourism Board are doing their best to balance health and safety concerns with your freedom to enjoy a relaxing, carefree Belize vacation.
Thank you for your continued support and patience as we all work through this phased reopening of Belize, and rest assured that we’ll go the extra distance to provide the most enjoyable, exciting and healthy vacation possible.
We appreciate how comforting being surrounded by pristine nature while enjoying casually luxurious lodgings, amenities, activities and dining can be right now, and the Fleming Family, along with Chaa Creek’s managers and staff, are all looking forward to welcoming visitors back to our little slice of paradise.
We’ll continue to provide updates on our website, and invite you to check in regularly for information and inspiration. For now, wherever you are, please look after yourselves and each other, and stay well.
Just like the ancient Maya temples and lush rainforests that surround us, we plan on being around for a long time – and will be here waiting to welcome you.