Obtaining a marriage license in Belize is relatively simple and uncomplicated. Here's what you need to know:
- One or both parties must be in the country one day prior to applying for a license. Marriage licenses can be obtained through either the Registrar General's Office in Belize City (Tel: 501-227-7377, fax: 501-822-3390 or the Attorney General's Ministry in Belmopan (Tel: 501-822-2504, fax: 501-822-3390). One day's notice is required before you apply at the Attorney General's Ministry. A marriage license can be picked up one or two days after it is approved and must be signed by a justice of the Peace. Cost of license for non-Belizeans is US$250.00 per couple. A lesser fee of US$100 is applicable to couples domeciled in Belize for three days or more prior to the wedding.
- Couples must provide valid passports with date of entry stamp.
- Proof of citizenship is necessary, in the form of an original birth certificate with a raised seal, or signed by a notary public, that includes father's name, or a valid passport would be considered as such proof.
- If either party was previously married, proof of divorce, if applicable (an original or certified copy of your divorce certificate), or a certified copy of decree or death certificate is necessary if you're a widow or widower, and must be submitted with the license application.
- If you're over 18 years of age, you don't need a blood test or parental consent.
- Two witnesses (male and female) are required to be present at the ceremony. (If a couple is traveling alone, hotel staff and/or guests are usually willing to stand in as witnesses.)
If you need any help or have further questions don't hesitate to email Denise Duran, our Weddings & Events Specialist at [email protected] or call toll free 877-709-8708.
Belize All Inclusive Wedding Packages
Important Tips For Planning Your Wedding
Belize Honeymoon Vacation Packages